Monday, April 11, 2011

Acceptance

I seem to always struggle with acceptance. I want to be accepted by my sorority sisters, people in my organizations, people at work, the girl I mentor,...I always go to people for acceptance. I want to fit in and have a place where I feel like I belong, where I'm accepted. I get so down because I don't have the best friend that I've been wanting for so long. I've been looking in all the wrong places. Instead of pursuing a best friend I should be chasing after God!

"At the root of the human condition is a struggle for righteousness and identity. We long for a sense of acceptance, approval, security, and significance--because we were designed by God to find these things in him." I read this in my Bible study, The Gospel-Centered Life. This makes perfect sense and clears things up. It's natural to want to be accepted, but I'm not going to find the acceptance I crave from anyone but God. I have always turned to a boyfriend to fulfill this craving. I have seen over and over again that a boyfriend is not what I need for this. However, I have hope that through God I will be filled with acceptance and everything else I desire.

"Sin has separated us from God and created in us a deep sense of alienation...To really experience the deep transformation God promises us in the gospel, we must continually repent of our sinful patterns. Our souls must become deeply rooted in the truth of the gospel so that we anchor our righteousness and identity in Jesus and not in ourselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment